University of Maryland School of Law (J.D. 1984)
– Articles Editor of the Maryland Journal of International Law and Trade
– Assistant Editor of the Maryland Law Forum
DePaul University (B.A. 1980)
Recognized and respected as an attorney who believes in providing superior client service with unwavering integrity and an impressive record of results.Maurice Grant is a nationally recognized and highly respected attorney, specializing in business and commercial litigation, employment, healthcare and real estate. He successfully represents clients ranging from large Fortune 500 companies, to governmental entities, hospitals and private medical practices, medium and small businesses, as well as individuals.
Prior to founding Grant Law, LLC, he co-founded Grant Schumann LLC and established the Law Offices of Maurice Grant. Earlier in his career, after serving as a judicial law clerk for Justice Calvin C. Campbell of the Illinois Appellate Court, Maurice worked as an associate attorney representing clients in commercial, real estate, and employment litigation at the law firm of Much, Shelist, Freed, Denenberg, Ament & Rubenstein, P.C.
During his career, Maurice has served the legal community both as a member of the Board of Managers and Chair of the Solo and Small Firm Committee of the Chicago Bar Association. He currently serves on the CBA’s Finance Committee and as the association’s Pro Bono General Counsel.
A licensed member of the Illinois Bar, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Seventh Circuit Court and the United States Supreme Court, Maurice has been recognized on the Super Lawyer list by legal industry publication, Super Lawyer Magazine in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 for his accomplishments in commercial litigation. In 2013, he was honored as a Business Leader of Color by Chicago United.
Legal Industry Recognition
Maurice has been featured in prestigious Forbes® Magazine (June 2017 issue, “How One Minority-Led Law Firm Is Climbing to the Top”), as well as the Real Estate Edition of Leading LawyersSM Magazine (2017 article, “Maurice Grant: Shattering Perceptions in the Legal Industry”.)
Maurice has been named to the Super Lawyers™ list by legal industry publication, Super Lawyers™ Magazine in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and again in 2017, for his accomplishments in commercial litigation.
The Nominating Committee of the Chicago Bar Association announced its slate of officers for 2017 – 2018, including attorney Maurice Grant, principal of the Chicago firm, Grant Law LLC, nominated and awarded the position as the Association’s Treasurer for a second term (Treasurer 2016-2017, 2017-2018).
Business advocacy organization Chicago United announced on March 10th, 2016, the appointment of Maurice Grant, principal of Grant Law LLC, to its Board of Directors, during the organization’s Annual Meeting & Leadership Summit.
Maurice was awarded the AV Preeminent® rating by the legal industry’s Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, an objective indicator of a lawyer’s high ethical standards and professional ability, generated from evaluations of lawyers by other members of the bar and the judiciary in the United States and Canada.
In 2013, he was honored as Business Leader of Color by Chicago United. Recognized frequently by Illinois Leading LawyersSM, Maurice has been recommended by his peers as being among the top lawyers in the fields of commercial litigation and real estate. Less than 5% of all lawyers licensed in each state have received the distinction of being named a Leading LawyerSM.
Maurice is also an active member of The National Association of Minority & Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF), that was founded in 2001. This nonprofit trade association is comprised of minority and women owned law firms and other interested parties throughout the United States. They provide excellence in legal services and are proud to be one of most powerful networks in the industry.
Maurice also has served the local community in a variety of capacities including as a member of the Board of Trustees of Living Word Christian Center, the Board of Directors for the Illinois Facilities Fund (the largest not-for-profit lender in Illinois), the Center For Conflict Resolution, and the Evanston Symphony Orchestra. He is a former Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Abraham Lincoln Centre and the Board for the Chicago State University Foundation. Maurice is currently on the Board of Directors for Chicago United, the Public Interest Law Initiative (“PILI”) and on the Advisory Board of the Justice Enterprise Project (“JEP”).
In addition, Maurice has served as an adjunct faculty member at the Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago Kent College of Law where he taught Legal Drafting General Practice to second year law students. He is currently a member of the PLI (”Practicing Law Institute”) faculty.
Maurice graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1984. Prior to attending law school, he earned a Bachelor of Arts in History from DePaul University and attended graduate school, majoring in European and African History.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- 2019 Earl Burrus Dickerson Award Recipient
- Featured in Forbes® Magazine (June 2017 issue, “How One Minority-Led Law Firm Is Climbing to the Top”), as well as the Real Estate Edition of Leading LawyersSM Magazine (2017 article, “Maurice Grant: Shattering Perceptions in the Legal Industry”.)
- Leading Lawyer for commercial litigation, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- AV Preeminent® rating – Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Business Leader of Color by Chicago United (2013)
Board Memberships and Committees
- Board Member – Chicago United (2016 – Present)
- Treasurer – Chicago Bar Association (2017 – 2018, 2016 – 2017)
- Finance Committee – Chicago Bar Association (2013 – Present)
- Steering Committee – Justice Enterprise Project (2012 – Present)
- Finance Committee and Inclusion Initiative – NAMWOLF (2009 – Present)
- Board of Managers – Chicago Bar Association (2007-2009)
- Chair of Solo & Small Firm Committee – Chicago Bar Association (2006-2007)
- Vice-Chair of Solo & Small Firm Committee – Chicago Bar Association (2005-2006)
- Center for Conflict Resolution (2010 – 2013) (Audit Chair)
- Evanston Symphony Orchestra (2011 – 2013)
- Chairman of the Governance Committee (2007 – Present)
- Chicago State University Foundation (2002 – Present) (Chairman – 2011 – Present)
- Chairman of the Board – Abraham Lincoln Centre (Member – 2001 – 2011) (Chairman – 2008 – 2011)
- Namwolf Law Firm Member
- PLI Faculty Member – 2013 – Present
- CLE – CBA Trial Practice (Cross Examination and Closing Argument)
- CLE – Taking and Defending Depositions (2014)
- Webcast – CBA Practice Pointer, “Developing a Website for Solo and Small Firms” (2010)
- Webcast – CBA Practice Pointer, “Marketing for Solo and Small Firms” (2010)
- Guest Speaker – Entity Type and Partner Considerations, “Starting Your Own Law Practice” (2008, 2009, 2010)
- Guest Speaker – CBA Law Practice Management and Technology Conference, “How to Handle High Maintenance Clients” (2007)
- MCLE Evaluation (2005)
- Guest Speaker – Serving on the Board of a not-for-profit organization (2004-2006)